≡ Menu

Sick Boy Blue

The photo was taken yesterday on the way to the zoo in La Chaux-de-fonds. Boy Blue fell sound asleep on his Papa’s shoulders.


My poor boy has been sick since Monday but started being his usual mischievous self today.

One of my neighbors offered to take me to the hospital Monday night after I was talking to her in the stairwell. She had asked me if I could watch her son the next day and I told her I couldn’t because my son was sick.

He had a temperature since the afternoon and had been laying around all day long when he wasn’t insisting that he be right with me. I was planning on taking him to the hospital by train in La Chaux-de-fonds the next morning.

Our village doesn’t have a train after around eight at night. It isn’t practical for emergencies but I understand why. If we had an absolute emergency we would call for an ambulance, call a taxi or have a nice neighbor take us by car. I hate not having a car for this reason. When I start working that will be the first thing that we buy.

Since I have helped her out several times in the past by watching her son she told me to get him ready and we would take him to the hospital in St. Imier.

Turns out that he has tonsillitis (Amygdalite – fr) and bacterial strep throat (Pharyngite – fr) which explained why he hadn’t been eating well.

He must take antibiotics for ten days.

We are on day four.

He refuses to take the medication and I must hold him down three times a day and force him to take the antibiotics.

No fun.

A few times I have successfully put the antibiotics into yogurt without his knowing it. HA!!!

The best trick I found today is to hide it inside a half glass of chocolate milk which he will down in two seconds since that is his very favorite drink.

For the remaining days of his antibiotic, I am planning on giving my son a half a glass of chocolate milk with the antibiotic hidden inside three times a day. I have no doubt that he will take every last drop now.

What was interesting is that the hospital prefers you to call ahead to let them know you are coming even if it is to the emergency room. This way they can make sure a doctor is there waiting on you. Apparently, there isn’t always a doctor sitting around the emergency room on slow nights. I think that is a good idea to save on staffing cost.

Another great idea is that even if all the pharmacies were closed there is a system in place where you can still get prescriptions filled. The hospital or you call the number of the pharmacy that is ‘on call’ and the pharmacist will come to the pharmacy to fill the prescription.

We called the ‘on call’ pharmacy in St. Imier. It turns out that the pharmacist lives right above the pharmacy. So, he just had to get dressed (if he was in is pajamas) and come down to open up the pharmacy for us.

It is a great system that I think works for everyone.

I got the prescription filled right away so that Boy Blue would start getting better sooner. And, the pharmacist on call only had to come to work for the twenty minutes it took to fill the prescriptions.

I, also, did not have to pay anything. My son’s insurance card was scanned through the computer which will automatically bill the insurance company. The insurance company pays the charges and then bills us for ten percent.

Unfortunately, the pharmacy only had a six day supply of the antibiotic and had to order more for the remaining four days. We have to take the bus to St. Imier to get the remaining days filled. It is kinda a pain since there is no train to St. Imier but we have been wanting to explore this city for a while now anyway.

You, my dear readers, will have pictures and my impression of St. Imier by Sunday to enjoy.

I have heard that St. Imier is a nice place to visit.

Comments on this entry are closed.

  • sissi May 23, 2008, 6:49 pm

    I hope he feels better soon

    Next week we have to meet!

  • expatraveler May 24, 2008, 1:01 am

    my husband’s been sick too! I do hope boy blue will get better fast. And just make sure he takes all of the antibiotics! P is resistant to antibiotics now… yikes, it’s rather scary!

    Anyhow – I can’t wait to see pics and hope boy blue is more like himself. Was thursday a holiday? It was in Germany and basically friday too…

  • might i add ... ? May 24, 2008, 3:27 am

    I hope he feels much better soon.

    I’m really impressed by your clever idea of hiding the antibiotics in chocolate milk! I hope I remember that if/when I need it.

  • mom4 May 24, 2008, 5:40 am

    This is your old neighbor from Ohio. The one who has the daughter that was best buds with your oldest. Your mom told me to check out your site. Sounds like quite another world over there. Must be some adventure. Glad your son is feeling better.

  • Pumpkin May 24, 2008, 8:29 pm

    might i add,
    So far he has been taking the bait. The trick is to keep him from seeing me put the antibiotic in the milk otherwise I will have to find another way. :)

    I still have that photo of the two girls when they were around three looking out over the woods behind the houses with mud all over their short bottoms. It brings back so many memories when I look at that photo. :)
    It is hard to believe they are almost 13 now!

  • mom4 May 25, 2008, 12:46 am

    I know the picture. I have the exact one. LOL
    Yes, almost teenagers. Was hoping she would get to come visit her grandma so B could see her. She misses her. I bet you can’t wait to see her. She has probably grown a foot! I will have to send you some pics of the kids. Maybe you can send me a few of yours via my email. Talk soon. Off to go get some ice cream. We finally have a nice day. Lovely Ohio weather. J said we have to move to the Caribbean. I think he would do it too.

Next post:

Previous post:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin